Now comes that time of year when we all start to think about what new, exciting ways we can get to know our new students and have them get to know each other. This year I’m also focusing on how I can integrate technology into my classroom and see where students are at in terms of their skills and behaviours towards technology.
If you’re thinking ‘No way! I don’t have time to worry about iPads in the first week!’ then challenge yourself to try it out. It won’t be so bad, I promise!
I’ve come up with a few open ideas for how you could replace activities you are probably going to do anyway, with a technology rich version of that same activity that can allow you to:
- assess your students’ tech-fluency
- introduce some tools that you will use during the year
- teach simple skills such as icon recognition, taking a picture, or app smashing
- see how students work together using technology when sharing devices
- find out more about your students’ lives.
This is my first ever infographic, so go easy on me and feel free to give me some feedback!
Let me know if you try any of these ideas or if you have any other ways you introduce technology to your new class.