About Me

The version I tell my new kids at the start of every year:

Hi, my name is Emily, I am a Gryffindor and I love Star Wars and things that are stripy. I also love checking my mailbox, singing and people that ‘have a go’.

The boring version for adults:

My name is Emily Fintelman and this year I’m a grade 3/4 teacher at Spensley Street Primary School in inner Melbourne, Australia. You can follow me on twitter @mrsfint. I love exploring the ways we can practically re-think education to ensure powerful and relevant learning for students. I am especially passionate about using technology to enhance learning and to create opportunities for students to connect and make an impact locally and globally. Also crazy for literacy (especially picture story books!) and being a better teacher of inquiry.

ABOUT THE BLOG

You might find me writing about:

• using tech in the classroom
  • leadership
  • inquiry
  • literacy
  • teaching literacy, maths, CBL and any other thing that pops up.

This blog has a few purposes.

It is mainly designed to share my ideas about teaching with a wider audience than just Kim in the classroom next door. I was once in a school that encouraged teachers to “shamelessly steal” great ideas from one another. I believe that good teachers stay connected and rely on learning from each other.

The blog is also an opportunity for me to reflect on my practice and articulate my beliefs about education. Even if no one reads it, it will still be beneficial for me. That is, that’s how I’ll console myself if I have no readers.

6 thoughts on “About Me

1. Dear Emily,

Congratulations on starting your ‘teacher blog’. I am excited that you will be able to share the wonderful things you do in the classroom with a wider audience!

Your enthusiasm for trying new things and always extending yourself is a great characteristic of a 21st Century teacher.

Looking forward to reading more,

Bec

2. Dear Mrs Fintelman,

Is there anyway I could contact you to ask some questions?

From a previous student you have had…

1. Hi, thanks for getting in touch!

If you’re old enough, you can tweet me or send me a DM on Twitter – my handle is @mrsfint. If not you could get your parents to do it with you. Hope that helps!

Emily

3. Hi Emily

My name is Jeff and i work for a School Furniture Manufacturer in Melbourne Victoria and would like to know if at some time i could interest you in visiting our Manufacturing plant. Your information was passed on to me via a teacher at a Melbourne school. I am responsible for doing a lot of the furniture layouts for schools and It would be great for me to learn a little more. We already try to implement some of your ideas into new and old classroom styles. Your thoughts on the correct furniture to be used in classrooms would also be greatly appreciated.