About Me

ABOUT ME

The version I tell my new kids at the start of every year:

Hi, my name is Mrs Fintelman and I love flamingos, Star Wars and things that are stripy. I also love checking my mailbox, singing and people that ‘have a go’.

The boring version for adults:

My name is Emily Fintelman and this year I’m a grade 5 teacher and leader of my team in a school in inner Melbourne, Australia. I am currently in my 7th year of teaching. You can follow me on twitter @mrsfint. I love exploring the ways we can practically re-think education to ensure powerful and relevant learning for students. I am especially passionate about using technology to enhance learning and to create opportunities for students to connect and make an impact locally and globally.

ABOUT THE BLOG

You might find me writing about:

• using tech in the classroom
  • leadership
  • teaching literacy, maths, CBL and any other thing that pops up.

This blog has a few purposes.

It is mainly designed to share my ideas about teaching with a wider audience than just Kim in the classroom next door. I was once in a school that encouraged teachers to “shamelessly steal” great ideas from one another. I believe that good teachers stay connected and rely on learning from each other.

The blog is also an opportunity for me to reflect on my practice. Even if no one reads it, it will still be beneficial for me. That is, that’s how I’ll console myself if I have no readers.

ABOUT MY CLASSROOM

This year, I have a grade of 26 grade 5s, all of whom are wonderfully fun and lovely people. Students in my class have BYO iPads.

One comment

1. Dear Emily,

Congratulations on starting your ‘teacher blog’. I am excited that you will be able to share the wonderful things you do in the classroom with a wider audience!

Your enthusiasm for trying new things and always extending yourself is a great characteristic of a 21st Century teacher.

Looking forward to reading more,

Bec